Category: Video

Walberswick Scroll appears on TV – ‘Penelope Keith’s Coastal Villages’

What a wonderful start to the New Year! It was absolutely delightful to see John Doman Turner’s ‘Walberswick Scroll’ make an appearance on ‘Penelope Keith’s Coastal Villages‘ on More 4.

JDT_WalberswickScroll_TV_02Jan2018_01

The film crew recorded the footage in Walberswick during the annual village fete in 2017. Featured in the broadcast is John English of the Walberswick Local History Group, who took over from artist Richard Scott as ‘protecter’ of the scroll. Over the past couple of years he has had the pleasure of showing the scroll to visitors of the Walberswick Heritage Hut a couple of times a year. Keep an eye out on their website for future showings.

JDT_WalberswickScroll_TV_02Jan2018_05

JDT_WalberswickScroll_TV_02Jan2018_06

JDT_WalberswickScroll_TV_02Jan2018_03

Want to know more about the Walberswick Scroll?
Artist and former ‘protector’ of the scroll Richard Scott writes…

“This remarkable work is one man’s view of Walberswick in the summer of 1931 but with some small additions in 1932, painted in watercolour on a roll of paper 123 feet long. The artist was John Doman Turner (1871-1938) who depicted every house in the village street and the riverside area in some detail, starting at the gamekeeper’s cottage a mile to the west of the church. He then followed the route of the old narrow-gauge Southwold Railway, which closed in 1929, as far as the then-surviving Walberswick station building before moving across to the top of the main street. Here he continued his pictorial trail down its north side, around the Green and down to the river. Here he became engrossed with the riverside buildings, the steam ferry (dramatically scuttled in 1942) and the cluster of artists’ studios along the river bank at the time. Then he made his way back to the top of the village, recording houses on the south side of the main street. The side turnings – Palmer’s Lane, Leverett’s Lane and Millfield Road – seem to be an afterthought, appearing as small pencil sketches inset at the top of the paper.

In the 1950s the scroll, wrapped around a wooden spindle, was kept in a cupboard in the Gannon Room which was, in all except name, the village hall of this period. The precious document could then be unrolled for inspection on trestle tables without prior arrangement, and was lucky to survive the great flood of January 31, 1953. The Gannon Room stood approximately on the footprint of the present village hall, with it’s long axis running north-south. It’s architectural style owed something to the “tin tabernacle” tradition – except that it was made of wood. In 1953 it was not protected by the more recent flood defence bank, completed in the early 1960s, but it certainly got its feet wet in the flood as the water reached The Anchor sign. Luckily the scroll was safely stored in its cupboard.”

“Several years later it was mounted in a wooden case which had housed a pub football game of the kind which was popular between the wars. The spindles were just right for the scroll and the installation was meticulously carried out.”

“Most appropriately this particular football game had served its time in the Walberswick Men’s Club, in the building on the Green which much later became the Heritage Hut.”

JDT_WalberswickScroll_TV_02Jan2018_02

What makes the Walberswick Scroll so special?

“Quite simply, Turner just loved Walberswick, and portrayed everything he saw in searching detail. This even extended to recording carefully the many signs and advertisements he encountered during his progress around the village, and the very comprehensive tariff of charges for the steam ferry – rich sources of material for historians trying to construct a detailed record of life in the village in 1931.

JDT_WalberswickScroll_TV_02Jan2018_08

Read more from Richard Scott in September 2017’s edition of the Walberswick Local History Group’s newsletter.

The episode of More 4’s “Penelope Keith’s Coastal Villages” featuring John Doman Turner’s Walberswick Scroll is available for the next 30 days and you can watch it again here – http://www.channel4.com/programmes/penelope-keiths-coastal-villages/on-demand/66623-003 (the segment starts at 38mins 30secs in).

ITV News report

We are delighted to be featured on the following ITV News report from this weekend’s showing of the Walberswick Scroll, filmed by ITV’s Kate Proud.

http://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2017-05-16/an-artists-scroll-depicting-every-building-in-the-suffolk-village-of-walberswick-gets-rare-public-outing/

jdt_newsreport_06

The Walberswick Scroll

You can hear Richard Scott (Art historian), Esther Freud (author of ‘The Sea House’),  my father and I all talking about John Doman Turner.

jdt_newsreport_02

Richard Scott, art historian and member of the Walberswick Local History Group

jdt_newsreport_03

Esther Freud, author of ‘The Sea House’

jdt_newsreport_04

Father and son James & Stephen Robertson viewing the Walberswick Scroll

jdt_newsreport_05

Watch the video here – http://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2017-05-16/an-artists-scroll-depicting-every-building-in-the-suffolk-village-of-walberswick-gets-rare-public-outing/

If you know any information on John Doman Turner, get in touch with us at enquiries@johndomanturner.com

You can order your copy of Esther Freud’s book ‘The Sea House’ from Amazon.co.uk
Visit the Walberswick Local History Group to find out about the next scroll viewing.

Trinity Fair Scroll, Southwold

Transcript from East Anglian Daily Times discussing John Doman Turner’s scroll of the Trinity Fair published on Monday June 4 1934.

Southwold Trinity Fair – Walberswick Artist’s Panaoramic Record

If the hundreds of visitors to this year’s Trinity Fair at Southwold found little that differed from the showman’s attractions of recent years, many of them have, at least had the opportunity to view a remarkable panoramic record of last year’s fair. A record which already bears the signatures of some hundreds who have admired it. A really outstanding record, it has actually been in the making almost continuously since last year’s Trinity Fair. It is the work of Mr. J. Doman Turner, a London man, who has a Summer residence at Southwold Harbour. Mr Turner learned drawing when on the Stock Exchange, and took evening classes at the New English Art Club. In recent years he has found scope for his youthful hobby when in residence at the artists’ colony of Walberswick. The hundreds of sketches he made of Walberswick were transferred to his panorama, which today is 25 yards long by 2 feet wide, and is actually a record in colours of the whole village.

The success of his  unique effort tempted the artist to put the Trinity Fair on record. The three days it was at Southwold did not give him anything like sufficient time to complete his rough sketches, so he scoured the countryside, finding the various exhibits that were at Southwold.  This work is 22 yards in depth and, like that of Walberswick, 3 feet wide. Already on the margins left for signatures, several hundreds notably of showmen and their families, have been appended. Tracings from the original display bills and Press cuttings of the 1933 fair help to make the record even more complete. Besides the steam-horses, dodge-em engines, caravans etc. every stall – some even with their personalities – are depicted.

trinityfair_newspaper_article

Source: Video footage taken during our trip to view John Doman Turner’s Trinity Fair scroll, currently displayed at The Swan Hotel, Southwold in 2012.

© 2018 John Doman Turner

Theme by Anders NorenUp ↑